Truly a royal dessert, as its name suggests, Shahi Tukra is a rich bread pudding with dry fruits, flavored with cardamom. Here is a simple recipe, in which ingredients are little modified to suit the requirement of time.
- 1 can (400gm) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tsp cardamom powder
- 1 tbsp rose water or ½ tsp kewara essence
- 5-6 Brown Bread Slices
- ½ cup roasted cashew nuts
- 2 tbsp Ghee to shallow fry bread
- Sugar syrup
- few saffron strings
- Cut the slices of bread with the help of cookie cutter.
- Shallow fry the toasts in a heavy bottom skillet using little ghee on medium fire till they are crisp and golden.
- In a pan take ¾ cup of sugar and 1 ½ cup of water. Boil for 4-5 minutes till 1 cup of syrup is left.(You can use leftover Gulab Jamun syrup also).Add cardamom powder and rose water in it.
- Put bread pieces in a flat serving dish. Pour 1 tbsp of sugar syrup on each slice, top with the condensed milk.
- Garnish the slices with the cashew pieces, chill for an hour and serve.
Do You Know?
Cashew nuts are said to be effective for improving vitality and are believed to be good for promoting healthy teeth and gums.
They are enriched in calcium, believed to help in promoting strong and healthy bones. They have magnesium, which is known to promote the absorption of calcium.
Cashew Nuts also contain iron, magnesium, zinc and folic acid, reported to be vital for pregnant women.