Fresh Spring Onion (Scallions), Green Chilies and Spinach make chicken curry green with different flavor.
- 1 pound chicken pieces of your choice
- 1 cup finely chopped scallion (Spring onions)
- 3-4 green chillies finely chopped
- ½ cup finely chopped spinach ( you can use frozen spinach)
- 1 tbsp garlic paste
- 1 tbsp ginger paste
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 1” cinnamon stick
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cloves
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper powder
- 2 tbsp lemon juice ( can modify according to taste)
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2-3 tbsp butter to cook
- Salt to taste
- Marinate chicken in ginger garlic paste, black pepper powder, red chili powder, vinegar, 2 tbsp oil and salt for 15 minutes.
- Heat butter in a skillet on medium flame. Add cinnamon, cloves and bay leaf. Stir in marinated chicken pieces (leave behind marinade for later use), fry till the chicken is brown and sealed from all the sides.
- Add chopped green onions, green chillies and spinach, fry for about 5 minutes.
- Mix in marinade and fry for another 5 minutes.
- Add a cup of water and cook covered till the chicken is tender.
- Remove from the fire, mix in lemon juice.
- Serve with hot Roti (Indian flatbread) or Parathas (pan-fried Indian flatbread).
Do you know?
Scallions, also commonly known as spring onion, green onion or salad onion, is associated with various members of the genus Allium.
It is a variety of young onions which has long thin white base (bulb is not fully-developed). They tend to be milder tasting than other onions.
Scallions have various common names throughout the world. In India it is called spring onion. In United States it is called as scallion or green onion. In England and some Commonwealth countries the most common name is spring onion. In Australia the common name is shallot.