Chicken is cooked with yogurt and spices. To give it a Shahi flavor and appearance, gravy is made by adding cashew nut paste and crushed crispy fried onions.
- 1 pound chicken pieces cut into pieces of your choice
- 1 medium sized finely sliced onions
- 1 tbsp cashew nut paste
- ½ cup yogurt
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 1 tbsp garlic paste
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp garam masala powder ( can be modified according to taste)
- 1” stick of cinnamon,
- ½ tsp caraway seeds(Shahjeera)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 brown cardamom
- 1 tsp fenugreek seeds (dry roasted and powdered)
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 cup ghee/cooking oil
- Ginger Juliennes, Chopped cilantro leaves and boiled egg to garnish
- Marinate chicken in lime juice, salt, 1 tbsp oil and garam masala powder for 1 hour at room temperature.
- In a deep heavy bottom pan heat ghee/oil and add sliced onions. Fry on high heat for 5 minutes or until the onions turn transparent. Stir frequently. Reduce heat to low and continue frying until the onions are light golden. Stir constantly. Remove onions from ghee and spread over a paper so that extra ghee is absorbed by the paper. Allow it to cool and when it is crisp, crush coarsely with a rolling pin.
- In the same pan in ghee/oil add bay leaf, caraway seeds, cinnamon and brown cardamom. Add ginger garlic paste and fry for few seconds.
- Then stir in marinated chicken, and fry for 2-3 minutes on medium heat. Now add dry spices, fry for 2-3 minutes. Add yogurt and fry again for 5-6 minutes. Now cover and simmer chicken on low heat till it is tender.
- Add crushed fried onions and cashew nut paste. Stir frequently and cook open on medium heat for 5 more minutes or until the ghee separates from the gravy.
- Garnish with ginger juliennes, chopped cilantro leaves and boiled egg.
- Serve with roti ( Indian flat bread) or Nan.
Do You Know?
Cashew Nuts are said to be effective for improving vitality and are believed to be good for promoting healthy teeth and gums. They are enriched in calcium, believed to help in promoting strong and healthy bones.
They have magnesium, which is known to promote the absorption of calcium. Cashew Nuts also contain iron, magnesium, zinc and folic acid.
It is reported that cashew nuts are vital for pregnant women.