Lamb is cooked with green chilies and yogurt
- 1 lb Lamb mutton with bone cut into small pieces
- 1 lb yogurt
- 10 green chilies ground in fine paste ( modify according to taste)
- 2 medium sized onions finely sliced
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger paste
- 1 tbsp fresh garlic paste
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tbsp finely chopped mint leaves
- 1 tbsp finely ground coriander leaves
- Salt to taste
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp caraway seeds ( Shahjeera)
- 4 cups lamb stock ( optional)
- ½ cup cooking oil
- Mix salt, black pepper, yogurt, turmeric powder, ginger and garlic pastes together.
- Marinate the lamb in this mixture for 30 minutes.
- Heat oil in a deep pan, add bay leaf and caraway seeds, fry onions till golden brown.
- Add only marinated lamb pieces( without marinade), fry till they are light brown.
- Mix in marinade ( yogurt mixture), cumin powder, coriander powder, garam masala along with green chili paste. Fry till the oil separates from the mixture.
- Pour in the lamb stock ( or water ) and cook till the meat is tender.
- Adjust seasoning if needed.
- Garnish with chopped coriander and mint serve with roti.
Do You Know?
Green chilies are available fresh, dried, powdered, flaked, in oil, in sauce, bottled and pickled. It spices up a bland meal and an overdose of these fiery heroes can also send you into a fit of hiccups.