- 1 pound chicken pieces of your choice, skin removed
- 2 medium sized onions sliced
- 1 tbsp garlic paste
- 1 tbsp ginger paste
- 2 large diced fresh tomatoes
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp garam masala powder ( quantity can be modified according to taste)
- 1” stick of cinnamon
- ½ tsp caraway seeds(Shahjeera)
- 4-6 tbsps cooking oil
- Ginger Juliennes to garnish
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a deep saucepan and fry the onions till golden brown. Remove from the oil and take out in a container and turn off fire.
- Grind the fried onions and tomatoes into a smooth paste in a food processor. Remove into a separate container.
- Heat the remaining oil, add cinnamon and caraway seeds. When they start changing color add the onion tomato paste along with ginger garlic paste. Fry for 2-3 minutes. Mix all the spices. And fry the masala till the oil begins to separate from it.
- Add the chicken to the masala and stir well.
- Add about a cup of hot water to the chicken, simmer and cover. Cook till the chicken is tender. Adjust the consistency of gravy to your choice.
- Take out in a dish and garnish with chopped cilantro.
- Goes well with Roti or Nan or Rice.
Do You Know?
To keep a pot simmering, one brings it to a boil and then adjusts the heat downward until just before the formation of steam bubbles stops completely.
Simmering ensures gentler treatment than boiling to prevent food from toughening and/or breaking up. Simmering is usually a rapid and efficient method of cooking.