Curry Chicken (also referred to as Chicken Curry) is a common delicacy in South Asia, East Asia, as well as in the Caribbean. The main ingredients in this dish are chicken and curry.
Curry flavored sauce is prepared and then chicken pieces are added to form a kind of stew, the term "chicken curry" is often used to describe this.
- 2 pounds chicken pieces with bones or chicken legs
- 1 tbsp garlic paste
- 1 tbsp ginger paste
- 2 medium sized onions chopped
- 1 big tomato cut in to pieces
- 2 green chillies
- 1 tbsp ‘Chicken Masala’
- ½” cinnamon stick
- 1 tbsp cashewnut paste (optional)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 Brown Cardamom
- ¼ tsp saffron
- 5-6 tbsp cooking oil
- Chopped coriander leaves
- Put 2-3 slits on each chicken legs.
- Rub salt and ginger garlic paste onto the chicken and keep aside for 15 minutes.
- Cook chicken in a pressure cooker with 2 tbsp of water. After one whistle turn off gas and let chicken cool.
- Meanwhile prepare gravy for chicken: Grind onions tomatoes and green chillies to a fine paste.
- In pan heat 4-5 tbsp oil; add bay leaf, cinnamon and brown cardamom. Stir in onion tomato paste and ‘chicken masala. Fry it till masala starts separating oil. Keep the curry aside.
- In a separate thick bottom pan heat 2-3 tbsp oil. Add chicken pieces; stir fry for 2-3 minutes. Now add gravy and cashew paste, mix well. Add saffron.Simmer for 4-5 minutes.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with roti (Indian Flat Bread) or rice.
- Gravy can be prepared in advance.
- Cooking time of chicken depends upon the type of chicken used. Some chickens take longer time to cook, so pressure cooking is required to cook the chicken.