Green chili is an all important star in Indian cooking and here is a quick recipe which goes well with Bagara Khana or hot Puri or Paratha. Enjoy!
- ½ pound Green Chilies
- 2 large onions
- 1” ginger
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp Sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp Peanuts
- 1 tbsp Desiccated Coconut
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp red chili powder
- ¼ cup tamarind pulp
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice
- 10 Curry leaves
- 1 cup cooking oil
- Wash Green Chilies, make slits along the length ensuring that the end is intact. Remove seeds.
- Roast the onions on a griddle till they soften and turn light golden brown.
- Dry roast together on medium heat the sesame seeds, peanuts, desiccated coconut, and coriander seeds till they darken slightly and start emitting an aroma.
- Grind together the onions, roasted spices, ginger, garlic, salt, turmeric powder, red chili powder to a fine paste.
- Heat oil in a pan, deep fry green chilies, remove and keep aside.
- Fry the ground paste in the same oil by stirring continuously. Pour little water at regular intervals while frying the paste. Stir well by adding tamarind pulp and salt, until the gravy is of sauce consistency.
- Add fried chilies. Bring to a boil and remove from fire. Add lemon juice according to your taste.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro leaves and serve with Biryani.
Do You Know?
Green chilies are very high in vitamin A and C and have more Vitamin C per gram than many oranges.