This simple dish tastes great with hot parathas (pan-fried Indian flatbread). Team with a dal and you've got a terrific vegetarian meal.
- 1 pound green pumpkin chopped in small cubes
- 1 tsp methi (fenugreek) seeds
- Pinch of asafetida
- 1 dry whole red chili
- 1 tsp finely chopped garlic
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp amchur powder (dry mango powder)
- 2-3 green chilies finely chopped
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- 2 tbsp mustard oil
- Heat the oil in a pan and add asafetida, whole dry red chilies and methi seeds.
- When the seeds begin to splutter, add the garlic and stir-fry till brown.
- Add pumpkin and fry for a minute. Add salt, chili powder, turmeric and stir to mix well.
- Add the green chilies and cook covered till pumpkin is cooked. Mix in amchoor powder.
- Serve hot garnished with coriander leaves.