Bottle gourd raita is seasoned by Dhunaar (Smoke Seasoning). It is a technique by which raita imbibes the flavour of asafetida and cumin seeds.
Serve it with Paratha and Sabji of your choice.
- 2 cup yogurt
- 1 small Bottle Gourd grated (about 1 lb )
- 2 green chillies finely chopped
- 1 tbsp cilantro finely chopped
- ½ tsp roasted cumin seeds powder
- 1 tsp chaat masala
- ½ tsp black pepper powder
- Salt Mix to taste
- pinch of asafetida
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- In a pan take grated bottle gourd and enough water so that bottle gourd is just dipped. Boil it till the bottle gourd is tender. Drain it and keep aside till it is cooled.
- When the bottle gourd is completely cooled squeeze it with both the hands to remove excess of water.
- Beat the yogurt till it turns smooth.
- Add bottle gourd, green chillies, chopped cilantro, Mix salt, black pepper powder, chaat masala, cumin powder and mix well.
- For Seasoning: heat 1 tsp of ghee in a ladle. Add asafetida and cumin seeds. Pour this mixture immediately over raita and close the lid.
- Garnish with cilantro leaves and serve chilled.
Do You Know:?
Dhunaar (Smoke Seasoning) is a popular technique used, more often in North India and Rajasthan, especially during cold winter days.Glowing charcoal is placed in a small pot (Katori). This small pot is then put in a bigger pot in which food, which is to be smoke seasoned, is already present. Dry spices like cumin and asafetida along with ghee are poured on top of the coal and a lid is quickly placed over the bigger pot.
The food present in the bigger pot imbibes the fresh smoke taste of ghee, asafetida and cumin.