It is a popular North Indian dish also known as Kaali Dal or Dal Makhani. It is a rich creamy dal usually served with a vegetable side dish and Naans (tandoor baked flatbread) or Butter Chicken and Naans.
- 2 cup Black Lentil ( Whole Urad Dal)
- ¼ cup Rajma ( Kidney Beans)
- ½ tsp methi (fenugreek) powder
- ½ tsp ground coriander seeds
- Salt to taste
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1" ginger finely chopped
- 2 cups butter milK
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder
- Coriander leaves to garnish
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
For the tempering (Baghar)
- 2 finely chopped medium onions
- 2 finely cut green chilies
- 4 cloves chopped garlic
- 1 cup finely chopped tomatoes
- 1” ginger finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons ghee (clarified butter)
- Soak Urad dal and Rajma for 4-5 hours.
- Put water, Urad dal, Rajma, turmeric powder, salt, ginger, fenugreek and coriander powder in the pressure cooker and cook for ½ hour or till the dal is cooked.
- Then remove the lid and add 2 cup butter milk and chopped tomato and cook on a low fire for another ½ hour.
- Tempering: Put 2 tablespoons of ghee in a small pan. First put in garlic, then finely cut green chilies, then the onions and chopped ginger, fry well. Add this tempering to dal.
- Mix in salt and garam masala in dal and simmer for 2-3 minutes. Add lemon juice.
- Place it in a serving dish; add cream and garnish with chopped cilantro leaves.
Do You Know?
There are certain dishes which are part and parcel of Punjab and their very mention conjures up the rich flavor of the state. Mah ki Dal, Sarson Ka Saag and Makkee Ki Roti, meat curry like Roghan Josh and stuffed paraunthas can be found in no other state except Punjab.