- 1 big boiled potato diced
- 1 big sweet potato boiled and diced
- 1 cucumber peeled and diced
- 1 cup boiled sweet peas
- 1 green chili finely chopped
- 2 tsp parsley leaves finely chopped
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp chaat masala
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp black pepper powder
- Two big firm round tomatoes
- Cut tomatoes into halves and scoop out pulp from inside.
- In a bowl put diced potato and sweet potato.Mix in salt, ½ tsp chaat masala, ½ tsp black pepper powder and 1 tsp lime juice. Fill two tomato halves with this mixture.
- In another bowl take diced cucumber and peas.Mix in remaining chat masala, black pepper powder, lime juice and salt. Fill remaining halves of tomatoes with this mixture.
- Garnish with parsley leaves and serve cold.
Note: You can fill tomato baskets with different types of salads.
Tip: New potatoes are best for potato salad, but if they aren't available, use other type of potatoes.
Do You Know?
In 1994 Calgene introduced a genetically modified tomato called the 'FlavrAavr' which could be vine ripened without compromising shelf life. However, the product was not commercially successful and was only sold until 1997.
Recently, stores have begun selling "tomatoes on the vine", which are determinate varieties that are ripened or harvested with the fruits still connected to a piece of vine. These tend to have more flavor than artificially ripened tomatoes (at a price premium), but still may not be the equal of local garden produce