Kheer is one such pudding, which is fairly easy and quick to prepare.
After barbecue, I kept white variety of sweet potatoes wrapped in aluminium foil on the leftover hot coals. In an hour they were ready to be cooked with milk and sugar.
- 2 medium shakarkand (white sweet potatoes)
- 2 cups warm full cream milk
- 2 green cardamoms crushed
- ½ cup Sugar (modify the quantity according to taste)
- 2 tbsp ghee (clarified butter)
- ¼ tsp green cardamom (elaichi) powder
- A pinch of Saffron (kesar)
- 1 tbsp Rose water
- 1 tsp chironji
- Almonds and cashew nuts finely chopped
- Bake, boil or microwave sweet potato till soft. Peel off the skin and mash.
- Heat ghee in heavy bottom pan; add first crushed green cardamoms, when it starts changing its color, add mashed sweet potatoes and fry on medium heat till it is pink in color.
- Add warm milk and allow it to boil. Stir in chopped almonds and cashew nuts. Keep on stirring till the mixture becomes thick.
- Turn off the heat and add cardamom powder, rose water and saffron.
- Garnish with cardamom powder, nuts and saffron strings.
- Serve chilled.
Do You Know?
- Despite its name, the sweet potato is not related to the potato.
- Potatoes are members of the Solanaceae family, which also includes tomatoes, red peppers, and eggplant, while sweet potatoes belong to the morning-glory family (Convolvulaceae).
- Potato is a tuber or thickened stem while the sweet potato is a storage root.