Potatoes are cooked in green sauce (green Masala). Use frozen masala and prepare in minutes.
- 2 medium Potatoes peeled and cubed
- 2 cups finely chopped scallion ( green onion / spring onion)
- 2 cups spinach chopped, washed and drained
- 4-5 green chilies finely chopped
- 1 tbsp garlic paste
- 1 tbsp ginger paste
- 1 tbsp wheat flour
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- Salt to taste
- 1 pinch soda bi carbonate
- 4 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 4-5 cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Butter and fresh cream for garnishing
- Take spinach in a large vessel, add ¼ cup of water and soda. Cover and put to boil on medium heat for 2-3 minutes. Cool in a plate or run under tap water to cool.
- Put spinach in a grinder; add scallion, green chilies, wheat flour, white vinegar and salt. Grind to smooth paste.
- Heat oil in a pan, add bay leaf, cinnamon stick, cloves and fry till color is changed. Add potato cubes and fry till pink. Add ginger, garlic paste and stir fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Now add blended spinach mixture, red chili powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder and allow cooking covered, on medium heat, for about 8-10 minutes or till potato is tender.
- If using green masala cubes then first fry potato cubes then add green masala cubes; cook till potato is done.
- Mix lemon juice before serving.
- Garnish with butter and fresh cream.
- Serve with Naan or Paratha
Do You Know?
Spinach is one of the foods that is most commonly associated with allergies. This may be due the reason that it is very tightly-packed with nutrients. Any one of its agents could trigger an allergy in a person who happens to be allergy to something. So always eat spinach in moderation.