You can replace ghee with vegetable oil but then it will not have the same flavor and taste as the original dish.
I prepare halwa in vegetable oil but in the last stages of its cooking I add just 1 tbsp of Desi ghee which gives good aroma and flavor to the halwa.
- 2 Potatoes medium sized
- ¼ cup desi ghee (clarified butter)
- ½ cup Sugar
- Cashew Nuts chopped
- ¼ tsp Green Cardamom crushed
- ½ tsp Rose water
- Pinch of yellow color
- Boil the potatoes in a saucepan or Microwave them for 5 minutes.
- Once the potatoes cool down, mash or grate them.
- Heat ghee in a non-stick pan on medium heat and add mashed/grated potatoes gradually.
- Stir and cook this till the ghee starts separating from the potatoes mixture.
- Add sugar and yellow color; continue stirring till sugar is completely incorporated in the potato mix.
- Remove the pan from the heat. Add Rose Water and Green Cardamom Powder, mix well.
- Garnish it with dry fruits and serve warm.
Do You Know?
- Ghee increases the medicinal properties of spices when spices are sautéed in ghee.
- According to Ayurveda, ghee is more alkaline than other oils and this results in a smoother skin tone and makes one look younger.
- Ghee is said to promote all three aspects of mental functioning - learning, memory and recall.
- Ghee balances both Vata (the Ayurvedic mind/body operator that controls movement in mind and body) and Pitta (the operator that controls heat and metabolism).
- Like aloe, ghee is said to prevent blisters and scarring if applied quickly to affected skin.
- Eating ghee is also believed to enhance virility and sexual potency.