Kanda means onion. Onions with besan is an extremely delicious dish. Small sized onions or just the bulbs of spring onion are cooked with roasted besan.
It is very easy to cook and will not take more than ten minutes to prepare.
It is ideal to be served with roti or paratha.
- 12-15 bulbs of spring onion or small onions
- 4 tbsp besan (gram flour)
- Pinch of asafetida
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 2 dry red chilies broken into pieces
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- ½ tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp amchur powder
- 3 tbsp cooking oil
- Separate bulbs from the greens of spring onions. Trim off the roots and peel the outer layer of the bulb off to access the tender, crunchy interior.
- In a small kadhai or wok roast the besan (without adding oil) until light brown. Keep aside for later use.
- Heat the oil in a pan and add asafetida and cumin seeds. When the seeds begin to splutter, add the garlic. Stir-fry till brown; now add the red chili pieces and fry till they are little darker.
- Add onion bulbs and stir-fry. Mix in coriander powder, salt, chili powder, turmeric powder, amchur powder and the garam masala. Stir fry for 3-4 minutes till onions are transparent.
- Add roasted besan and mix till all are blended.
- Serve with dal, rice / roti.
Do You Know?
- Gram flour contains a high proportion of carbohydrate but no gluten.
- Gluten is the substance that gives dough its elasticity, strength, and makes the dough rise. Wheat has a high level of gluten.
- Some examples of non-gluten flours are rice (brown and white), potato, chickpea, quinoa, cornmeal, soy, sorghum, and buckwheat.
- Breads and baked goods made solely with non-gluten flour have different characteristics than baked goods made with gluten flour.
- The texture is much more dense and crumbly because the dough made with gluten-free flour does not rise. Many people prefer the dense texture.
- Various types of baked goods made with gluten-free flour are also full of flavor and some have even better nutritional profiles than baked goods made with gluten flour.