This rich and creamy Vrat Ke Chawal ki kheer (Samo rice pudding) is made with milk, flavored with cardamom and rose water, and topped with almonds and raisins.
- ½ cup Samo Rice / Bhagar/ Vrat Ke Chawal
- 4 cups full cream milk
- 1 tsp cardamom powder
- Few strands of saffron
- ¼ cup blanched and slivered almonds
- Few raisins
- ½ cup sugar (adjust according to taste)
- 1 tsp Kewra water or Rose water
- Wash and soak Vrat ke Chawal (samo seeds) for 30 minutes.
- In a large saucepan boil milk, add the drained samo rice and simmer till the kheer is creamy.
- Add sugar, almonds and raisins. Stir and simmer for another 2-3 minutes. Turn off the fire. Allow the kheer to cool down.
- Sprinkle cardamom powder, saffron and Rose water.
- Chill in refrigerator and serve.
Samo Rice or Bhagar or Jungle Rice , a seed of a grass namely Echinochloa Colonum grows amongst the rice paddy as it requires damp and moisture laden soil. With digestible fibers, high nutritional content and excellent nourishment, bhagar is immensely popular amongst the Indian majority. Prepared in different styles across various states, it forms a heavy and a filling meal.