Bottle gourd raita is Smoke Seasoned. By this technique, raita imbibes the flavor of ghee, cumin and green chilies.
- 1 cup yogurt
- 2 cups Bottle Gourd grated
- 2 green chilies finely chopped
- 2 cloves
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tbsp cilantro finely chopped
- ½ tsp black pepper powder
- Rock Salt to taste
- In a pan take grated bottle gourd and two cups of water. Boil till the bottle gourd is just tender. Drain it and keep aside to cool.
- When the bottle gourd is completely cooled, squeeze it with both the hands to remove excess of water.
- Beat the yogurt till it turns smooth.
- Add bottle gourd, half of the chopped cilantro, rock salt, black pepper powder, cumin powder and mix well. Add water to adjust the consistency of Raita.
- For Seasoning: Heat 1 tsp of ghee in a serving spoon. Add cumin seeds, chopped green chilies. When cumin seeds stop spluttering, add whole dry red chili and pour this mixture immediately over the raita and close the lid.
- Garnish with cilantro leaves and serve chilled with Kutti Poori, Aloo Sabji.
Do You Know?
On the first day of the Navaratri, a small bed of soil (taken from any auspicious place) is prepared in the puja room of the house and barley seeds are sown over it.