Very healthy and nutritious dish, as it consumes very less fat and no cream. Cottage cheese and capsicum are cooked in a sauce of tomatoes and onion; and Kasuri methi (dried fenugreek leaves) gives it an irresistible flavor.
Serve it with hot Poori, Paratha or Naan.
- 1 pound Cottage Cheese cut into medium pieces
- 2 Capsicum cut into long pieces
- 2 medium Onions chopped
- 4 medium Tomatoes chopped
- 2 green chilies
- 1 " long piece Ginger
- 1 tsp Red Chili Powder
- ½ tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp Coriander powder
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 4 Cloves
- 1 small piece of Cinnamon
- 1 tbsp Kasuri Methi (dried fenugreek leaves)
- 4 tbsp Clarified Butter (Ghee)/Cooking Oil
- Few Ginger juliennes
- Finely chopped Coriander leaves
- Grind onions, tomatoes, ginger and green chilies to make a puree.
- Heat Ghee (clarified butter)/oil in a kadhai (or wok). Stir fry paneer for about 2 minutes. Take them out (before paneer starts changing color) and keep aside for later use.
- Now stir-fry bell pepper until they are little tender. Do not overcook the bell pepper. Take them out and keep aside for later use.
- In the same ghee/oil now add bay leaf, cloves, cinnamon.
- Stir in onion tomato puree along with red chili powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, and salt.
- Continue cooking it on medium flame till ghee/oil begins to separate. Add ½ cup of water. When gravy comes to boil add paneer and capsicum and kasuri methi (dried fenugreek leaves). Let it simmer for about 2-3 minutes on low medium heat.
- Take out in a serving dish. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with Naan or Pooris or Paranthas.
Do You Know?
Kadhai is a kind of thick, circular deep vessel, which is used in Indian cooking. Originally made of cast iron, they are nowadays made of a number of metals, but mostly in aluminium alloy.
Kadhai cooking is quick and no water is used in this style of cooking. The main ingredients cook in the natural juices released by the vegetables or meat in the dish, which is constantly stirred until cooked.