A mouth watering dish, in which, Cauliflower is cooked in Mustard oil. To give flavor of Achar (pickle) Fenugreek, Kalonji and Fennel seeds are added along with other spices.
- Big florets of one medium sized cauliflower
- 1 medium size onion chopped
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 medium size tomato chopped
- 2-3 green chilies sliced in half vertically
- 1 tsp Kasuri methi
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp amchoor powder
- 1 lemon /lime
- 4 tbsp mustard oil
- ¾ tsp saunf (fennel seeds)
- ¾ tsp methi dana (fenugreek seeds)
- ¾ tsp kalonji (black onion Seeds)
- ½ tsp crushed red pepper
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder
- Salt to taste
- Blanch cauliflower: Separate florets of cauliflower. Plunge the florets into boiling water (with 1 tsp of salt in it), remove after 2-3 minutes, and finally place them under cold running water to halt the cooking process. Pat dry the florets and keep aside for later use.
- Heat mustard oil in a heavy bottom pan till it starts to smoke. Shut off heat till smoke settles down. Now turn the heat back on. Add chopped onions. Sauté till edges start to turn brown.
- Add ginger garlic paste and chopped tomato. Cook till tomato is mushy.
- Add remaining ingredients and blanched cauliflower. Mix it well. Sprinkle 2-3 tbsp of water. Cover and turn down heat.
- Cook covered for about 3-4 minutes or till cauliflower is dry and pickle fragrant.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro.
- Squeeze lemon and serve with Dal and Roti
Do You Know?
Food is blanched to soften it, or to partly or fully cook it, or to remove a strong taste (for example of bacon, cabbage, or onions).
Vegetables continue to cook after they are removed from the boiling water, so it is essential to plunge them into iced water or place them under cold running water (shocked) to halt the cooking process, else they become soggy.