Round slices of Eggplant are coated with spice mixture powder and stir fried. Serve Baingan Fry with Roti and Dal of your choice.
- 1 big size Baingan (Egg Plant)
- 1 tbsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp amchoor powder
- 2 tbsp besan (Gram Flour)
- Salt to taste
- Chopped cilantro and lemon slices for garnishing
- ½ cup cooking oil
- Cut the baingan into thin round slices.
- Mix chili, turmeric, coriander amchoor powders, besan and salt together in a bowl.
- Spread Baingan slices on a plate and apply this spice powder on both the sides.
- Leave them for 15 minutes.
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a frying pan on medium low heat. When oil is hot, layer few slices of Baingan on the frying pan. Fry both the sides till crispy.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and lemon slices.
- Serve hot with Roti and Dal of your choice.
Do You Know?
Degorging is a process of salting, rinsing and draining of the slices or cubes of eggplant fruit.
Larger, older eggplants have brown seeds that contain a bitter liquid. Salting eggplants removes some of this liquid and improves their flavor. They also tend to become soft and "melty" when cooked. The fruit is capable of absorbing large amounts of cooking fats and sauces, allowing for very rich dishes, but the salting process will reduce the amount of oil absorbed.
In general, it's not necessary to salt smaller eggplants since they have fewer seeds than larger eggplants.