Extremely nutritious and very easy to prepare, you just need onion and asafetida. Ginger is important for seasoning this dal. Dal is a very comforting food just like chicken soup.
- 1 cup split and skinned green gram lentil (dhuli moong dal which is yellow in colour)
- 1 small thin sliced onion
- 1’’ piece of ginger, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 green chilies chopped finely
- Chopped green coriander leaves
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 whole dry red chili
- 1/2 tsp Jeera (cumin seeds)
- 2-3 tbsp Ghee
- One bay leaf
- ½" long cinnamon stick
- Five cloves
- Wash and soak dal for 20 minutes
- Put water to boil in a pan. Add moong dal, garlic, turmeric and one tsp of oil or ghee. Cover the pan. Cook on low heat till well cooked.
- Meanwhile heat 2-3 tbsp of ghee in a separate pan. Add bay leaf, jeera, cinnamon stick, cloves. Stir it. Add asafetida powder and broken whole red chili; stir fry.
- Add sliced onions. Stir fry till golden brown, add chopped ginger and stir fry.
- Add boiled moong dal to it and salt. Stir continue to cook on simmer for 2-3 minutes
- Serve with Sabji, Chutney and hot paratha or roti.
Do you know?
Lentils can be stored a long time, are easy to make, and are one of the cheapest protein sources. Unlike other legumes, you don’t have to soak lentils before cooking. Just rinse them in cold water and simmer in water or broth. Enjoy them plain or spiced with herbs, onions, or garlic.