This recipe is really easy and turns out a delicious dish that tastes great when served with hot Khasta Paratha.
- 3 medium size turnips cut into slices
- 1 large onion
- 1 tsp garlic grated
- 1 tsp ginger grated
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- ½ tsp raw mango powder/Amchur (available in Indian Grocery Store)
- 4 tbsp cooking oil
- Salt to taste
- Heat 3-4 tbsp of oil in a wide, preferably non stick frying pan over medium flame.
- When hot, add onions, and salt. Sauté till onions are light brown. Add ginger garlic and fry for a minute.
- Now put in turnip slices; and red chili powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder and salt. Stir and sauté for a minute. Don't let it burn. Add 2 tbsp water, if it starts to burn. Turnip pieces should be nicely coated.
- Add about ¼ cup of water. Cover and cook on low heat till turnips are done, stirring occasionally. Add more water if needed; you want dish to be damp wet but not runny.
- Stir in amchur powder and garam masala. Cook for a minute more.
- Take out in a dish, garnish with spring onion leaves and serve with hot paratha.
Do You Know?
Turnip is a root vegetable. It’s leaves are eaten as turnip greens.
It is low in Saturated Fat and Cholesterol. It is high in Vitamin C. Along with Vitamin C it contains Dietary Fiber, Manganese, Vitamin B6, Folate, Calcium, Potassium and Copper.