This is a common Indian dessert made of besan and ground sugar in the form of balls.
- 4 cups gram flour (Besan)
- 2 cups Ghee (Clarified butter)
- 2 1/2 cups powdered Sugar ( modify according to taste)
- 1 tsp green cardamom powder
- Small pieces of Almonds and Cashew nuts (optional)
- Warm the ghee in a heavy bottom deep Skillet.
- Add Gram Flour to it. Mix well.
- Roast the mixture on medium heat. Keep stirring the mixture till the color changes. Gram flour is ready for use when it turns dark yellow or brown in color and a pleasant toasted aroma fills the area. You have to be very careful while roasting gram flour, it should not stick to the bottom of the skillet at any time.
- When ghee starts to separate, turn off the flame. Wait for 10-15 minutes.
- Add the sugar to this mixture when it is still more then warm.
- Mix well sugar and besan by rubbing between both the palms. The mixture should become smooth and even.
- Add cardamom powder and dry fruits at this stage.
- Form round balls by pressing firmly and store in air tight containers.
- Amount of sugar can be modified according to your taste.
- If you are making laddus to be eaten fresh then reduce the quantity of ghee and add little milk in place of it.