Thick, spicy stew is prepared from whole green gram lentil.
- One cup whole green gram lentil (sabit hari moong) washed and soaked in water for 20 minutes.
- Four green onion finely chopped
- ½ tsp ginger paste
- ½ tsp garlic paste
- 2 tsp green chili paste.
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- ½ cup green coriander leaves finely chopped
- 1 tsp lemon juice extract
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 2 pinches of asafaetida powder (Hing powder)
- Salt to taste
- 2 tsp refined oil
- 2 whole red chili
- 2 tbsp Ghee
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker
- Add onion, ginger, garlic and green chillies paste.
- Add drained moong dal with turmeric.Stir fry for 2 minutes
- Add 4 cups of water and pressure cook it till 2 whistles. Cool it.
- In a separate pan add ghee and heat it.
- Add asafaetida powder, whole red chillies. Stir it.
- Add diced tomatoes.Stir fry for 2-3 minutes till tomatoes are tender.
- Add cooked whole green gram dal from pressure cooker.Stir it
- Add half of the green coriander and lemon juice. Mix it well.
- Serve in a dish. Sprinkle remaining half of coriander over it
- Serve with roti (Indian Flat Bread)or rice.
Do You Know?
Legumes have been respected for their nutritional benefits since ancient times. Containing only a trace of fat, they are one of the best sources of fibre. They are also excellent sources of complete carbohydrates, high quality protein, vitamins and minerals.