Layering of sweet, tangy and spicy toppings such as tamarind chutney, coriander chutney, red chili powder, etc make these dahi vada super delicious appetizer or chaat item or an accompaniment to a main meal.
For the Vadas:
- 1 tbsp ginger juliennes
- 2 tbsp broken cashew nuts
- 1 green chili finely chopped
- 1 tbsp raisins soaked and chopped
- 1 tbsp green coriander leaves
For Yogurt mix:
- 2 cups yogurt
- 1 tsp cumin seeds roasted and ground
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp raita mix
- Pinch of kala namak (black salt)
- Clean, wash and soak the urad dal for 2 to 3 hours.
- Place dal in a blender and grind to a fine paste, adding a little water at a time to ease the grinding. It should form a smooth soft paste.
- Take a bowl of water. Drop a small ball of this dal paste in it. If dal floats in water then it is ready for frying but if it settles down at the bottom of the bowl of water then it should be churned with hand for some more time till it incorporates enough air to float on the water. Add the asafetida, and salt and mix well with your hands.
- Heat oil in a deep frying pan.
- Make Gujiya: Place a piece of wet cotton cloth on a hard surface. Place a tablespoon of the dal paste on the wet cloth. Wet your fingers and pat it to a round shape of about 2” diameter.
- Again wet your fingers and place the stuffed vada on your fingertips.
- Carefully slide the stuffed vada into a kadhai filled with hot oil and deep fry about 3 to 4 vadas at a time over medium flame till they are golden brown.
- Remove vadas from oil, and soak in water for about an hour.
- Meanwhile prepare yogurt mix by mixing the yogurt, salt, and crushed roasted cumin together. Keep aside.
- Just before serving, squeeze out any excess water from the vadas by gently pressing each one between your palms. Arrange the vadas on a serving dish.
- Pour the yogurt mixture over the vadas. Sprinkle red chili powder, black salt and raita powder on top.
- Refrigerate vadas for at least an hour before serving.
- Serve with tamarind chutney and green coriander chutney.