Chana dal goes very well with spring onion. Serve it with hot rotis and curry of your choice.
- ¼ cup chana dal
- 2-3 Spring onions
- 2 dry red chili (broken into pieces)
- 2 green chilies chopped fine
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- 3-4 cloves
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- Soak chana dal overnight.
- Wash and clean onions. Cut crosswise in thin slices.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan over medium heat, add mustard seeds and cloves.
- When seeds stop spluttering, add ginger garlic paste. Fry for a minute.
- Add soaked chana dal, chopped spring onion, red chili powder, turmeric powder and salt. Add ¼ cup of water and cook covered over low heat till dal is just tender. It should not be soft and mushy.
- If any water is left, cook it without lid till dal is completely dry.
- Add lemon juice and serve with roti and curry of your choice.
Do You Know?
Scallions, sometimes called spring onions or green onions are a popular salad ingredient. They are just small onions intended to be harvested young. They are cold hardy vegetables and come in purple, red and white. Nutritionally, they are high in vitamins A, C and K, with lots of potassium, calcium and iron.