It is another common Hyderabadi snack which is served as a starter. Stuffed, batter covered green peppers are deep fried and then cut into pieces. These cut pieces are again deep fried in oil.
- 5 straight, plump, green chilies
- Oil for frying
- 1 cup besan (gram flour)
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- ½ tsp baking powder
- Salt to taste
- Dry roast sesame seeds, coriander seeds to pale gold color. Grind them in a blender with tamarind juice and salt (without adding water). It should be like paste.
- Put the gram flour in a large mixing bowl with the ingredients required for the batter. Adding water, prepare medium thick batter (like pancake batter). Keep aside.
- Wash and pat dry all the chilies. Make one slit along the length of the chilies from just under the stem to just above the end of the chili. Insert the knife at the tip of chili and pluck the thick white vein in the middle along with the seeds.
- Now fill the slit in the chili with the sesame filling evenly one by one and keep them aside on a plate.
- Heat the oil on medium high. One by one dip the stuffed chilies in batter and gently drop from the sides of Frying pan or Kadhai into hot oil and deep fry until golden. Remove to a paper towel covered plate.
- Now cut each chili pakoda into pieces about 1”long and refry them in hot oil till they are brown and crispy.
- Sprinkle chat masala powder and serve as starter.
Note: To make tamarind juice, put a ball of tamarind in a bowl and cover with very hot water. After 15 minutes, when the tamarind has softened, with the help of fingers mash it and squeeze out the pulp. Do this till all pulp has been removed. Strain pulp through a sieve before the use.
Do you know?
Chat Masala is a tangy condiment that perks up the flavors of salads, lentils, fruits, grilled potatoes and vegetables.
Dishes salted with Chat Masala will develop a deliciously authentic flavor and fragrance.
Readymade chat masalas are available in Indian stores which are quite good. You can make your own chat masala by mixing different constituents in right proportion.