This simple dish tastes great with hot Parathas (pan-fried Indian flatbread). Team it with a dish like Rajma and you've got a terrific vegetarian meal.
- 1 pound ghiya (bottle gourd) - scraped and chopped in cubes
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- Pinch of asafetida
- 2 dry whole red chilies
- 1 tsp finely chopped ginger
- 1 tsp finely chopped garlic
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp garam masala
- 2-3 green chilies finely chopped
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- 2 tbsp oil
- Heat the oil in a pan and add asafetida, whole dry red chilies and cumin seeds.
- When the seeds begin to splutter, add the garlic and ginger. Stir-fry till brown.
- Add ghiya and stir fry for a minute. Add coriander powder, salt, chili powder, turmeric, and the garam masala. Stir to mix well.
- Add the green chilies and cook covered till ghiya is cooked.
- Serve hot garnished with coriander leaves.
Do You Know?
Ghiya has some amounts of Vitamins C and B complex and also a few proteins.