Stir fry leftover rice with leftover green chutney (Coriander or Mint Chutney) and enjoy the dish with plane yogurt.
- 2 cup of boiled rice (leftover)
- 3-4 tbsp green Cilantro or Mint chutney
- ½ tsp sugar granules
- 1 tbsp lemon juice ( adjust according to your taste)
- 2 green chilies
- ½ tsp white pepper powder
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- a pinch of asafetida powder
- 3 tbsp cooking oil
- salt to taste
- Heat oil in a frying pan on medium heat. Splutter cumin seeds. Add asafetida, green chilies, curry leaves and fry for a few seconds.
- Add chutney and sugar. Fry for a minute. Before chutney changes its green color, mix in cooked rice, pepper powder and salt. Fry on low flame for another minute.
- Remove from fire. Stir in lemon juice.
- Serve with yogurt or pickle of your choice.
Do You Know?
In India, chutney is often made to be eaten fresh, using whichever strongly flavored ingredients are locally available at the time. It would not normally contain preserving agents, since it is intended to be consumed quickly after preparation.
Many authentic types of chutney contain significant amounts of fresh green chili peppers; the other main ingredient can be any of a wide variety of fruits and vegetables. Most vegetable chutneys are prepared cold in a blender, while many fruit chutneys require cooking.