- 1 cup urad dal (skinned split black gram)
- ½ cup cilantro leaves chopped finely
- ½ cup fenugreek leaves chopped finely or 2 tbsp dry kasoori methi
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- Wash and boil the dal in a pan with 1 tsp of oil, turmeric powder and salt.
- Cook until done on medium flame. If required add little hot water.
- When dal is cooked, add coriander leaves, fenugreek leaves, green chilies and simmer for 2 minutes. Remove from fire.
- Prepare tempering to garnish dal: Heat the ghee on a medium flame, in a small pan till hot.
- Now add cumin seeds, fry until spluttering stops. Turn off the fire and add the asafetida powder, dry whole red chili and red chili powder. Immediately pour this tempering mix over the boiled lentil mixture before red chili burns, stir well.
- Garnish with some of the tempering and chopped cilantro leaves.
Do You Know?
Urad dal, also referred to as Urad (Vigna mungo), udad dal, black gram, or black lentil. These beans have black skins covering creamy white interiors.
Black gram was originated in India, where it has been in cultivation from ancient times. Indian immigrants have introduced it to other tropical areas.
It is very nutritious and is recommended for diabetics, as are other pulses.