- 1 cup Whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup semolina
- ¼ cup Urad dal powder ( available in Indian Grocery Store)
- ¼ tsp red chili powder
- ¼ tsp dry mango (amchur) powder
- ¼ tsp coriander powder
- ¼ tsp garam masala powder
- ½ tsp fennel (saunf) powder
- Pinch of asafetida
- 3 tbsp cooking oil
- Salt to taste
- 2 cups cooking oil for deep frying
- Mix all dry ingredients except cooking oil for frying.
- Add water and make smooth dough but little harder than dough for roti. Cover the dough and keep it to rest for at least 1 hour at a warm place. Punch and knead the dough again before rolling out.
- Divide the dough into small balls about golf-ball size, and roll out into 4" rounds on an oiled board.
- Heat cooking oil in a wok or saucepan. Fry the puri one at a time, holding them under the oil on the first side until they puff up. Turn and fry until light brown. Drain and take out in an absorbent paper.