Egg Khagina is a common and favorite breakfast dish in Hyderabad. It is served with Paratha /Bread/Bun. A typical egg khagina contains eggs, scrambled with fried onions, tomatoes and spices; but variations can occur according to the taste and method of cooking.
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp ginger finely chopped
- 1 tsp garlic finely chopped
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 1 green chili finely chopped
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- Salt to taste
- ½ cup tomato chopped finely
- 1 tbsp cilantro finely chopped
- 3-4 tbsp cooking oil
- Heat oil in a frying pan on medium heat and add chopped onions.
- Fry them until they become light brown.
- Stir in chopped ginger garlic, tomato, green chilies, red chili powder, turmeric powder, salt and cook until the tomatoes become soft.
- Crack the eggs into the frying pan and cook them on top of the onion tomato masala. Keep stirring to avoid the onions sticking to the pan.
- When eggs seem to cook through, break them with a wooden spatula, not to cut them into too small pieces.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro.
- Serve with Paratha ( Pan-fried Indian flat bread) / Bread Slice/ Bun.
Do You Know?
A boiled egg can be distinguished from a raw egg without breaking the shell by spinning it. A hard-boiled egg's contents are solid due to the denaturation of the protein, allowing it to spin freely, while viscous dissipation in the liquid contents of a raw egg causes it to stop spinning within approximately three rotations.