Very good appetizer, made by deep frying ground spiced Bengal Gram and Skinned Black Gram.
- 1 cup Bengal Gram (Chana Dal)
- 1 cup skinned Black Gram (Dhuli Urad Dal)
- 1 tbsp ginger grated
- 2 green chilies finely chopped
- 2 tbsp cilantro leaves finely chopped
- 5-6 Black peppercorns crushed
- 1 tsp red crushed chili
- 1 tsp coriander seeds crushed
- 1 tsp fennel seeds crushed
- Pinch of asafetida
- Salt to taste
- Oil for deep frying
- Soak Bengal Gram and Black Gram separately for 3-4 hours and grind to a coarse paste separately.
- Now mix the pastes and all ingredients, except the oil for frying.
- With wet hands take some dal mix and make a 3” large round Patty (disc like shape).
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat. When oil is hot, add the vada (Patty), turn and fry until pale golden.
- Remove vada and drain the excess oil on absorbent kitchen paper towel.
- Repeat making and deep frying vadas (Patties) until all the mixture is used up. You can fry more than one vada at a time.
- Keep aside to cool.
- Now cut each vada (Patty) into ½-inch thick slices (fingers).
- Reheat the oil and fry the fingers (slices) until golden and crisp.
- Sprinkle some chat masala and serve with green chutney or ketchup.