- 1 pound okra wash, dry, remove top and slit into 2 lengthwise
- 2 tsps rice flour
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp amchur powder ( raw mango powder)
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp lemon Juice
- Cooking oil for frying
- Heat the cooking oil on a medium flame. Do not heat the oil too much as okra burns quickly when deep fried.
- Put the okra in a large mixing bowl and sprinkle all the other ingredients on it. Season with salt just before frying or else the okra will release water and become soggy.
- Fry the okra a little at a time, until crisp.
- Garnish with onion or cilantro and serve with plain boiled rice and plain Dal.
Do You Know?
Okra is easily dried for later use. Dishes produced using dry okra gives much the same results as does the fresh product.
In some lands the seeds rather than the whole young pods are of most interest. When ripe the seeds yield edible oil that is the equal of many other cooking oils. It is used in Mediterranean countries and the East, where edible oils are produced less.
The ripe seeds of okra are sometimes roasted and ground as a substitute for coffee. A close relative of okra, roselle, is used as a source of fiber for cloth.