Potatoes are cooked with lots of ripe tomatoes and spices. It goes well with Paratha or White Rice and Simple Arhar Ki Dal.
- 1 big potato cut into small cubes
- 4 big red tomatoes ( preferably vine ripened tomatoes )
- 1 small onion sliced
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- 3-4 curry leaves
- 2 green chilies chopped
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ¼ tsp sugar
- 3-4 tbsp cooking oil
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a pan, add mustard, after they splutter add curry leaves, green chilies and chopped onion.
- Sauté until onion is transparent.
- Add diced potato and chopped tomatoes, red chili powder, turmeric powder, sugar and salt.
- Cook till tomato is soft and mushy; and oil is separated.
- Serve hot with Paratha or White Rice and Simple Arhar Ki Dal.
Do You Know?
Fresh tomatoes are available throughout the year but most abundant at the end of the summer. They are best when freshly picked off the vine. Since fresh tomatoes are very perishable, these have been picked when green and then forced to ripen. These tomatoes have longer shelf life but do not have the taste and texture of a vine ripened tomato.