Make stiff dough of wheat flour, semolina and masala; deep fry in hot cooking oil on medium heat until crispy brown, serve hot with curry and pickle of your choice.
- 2 cup Indian whole wheat flour
- 2 tbsp semolina (suji)
- ½ tsp garlic paste
- ½ tsp carom seeds (azwain)
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- ½ tsp chat masala
- ½ tsp crushed dry mint leaves
- Pinch of asafetida
- 1 tbsp oil
- ½ tsp salt
- Cooking oil to deep fry
- Mix all the ingredients (except oil to fry) in a bowl. Add warm water just enough to form a firm dough. Knead the dough smooth. Cover and keep it to rest for at least ½ hour at a warm place. Punch and knead the dough again before rolling out.
- Divide the dough into small balls about golf-ball size, and roll out into 6" rounds on an oiled board.
- Heat vegetable oil in a wok or saucepan. Add a little salt to the oil to keep it from smoking.
- Fry the puri one at a time, holding them under the oil on the first side until they puff. Turn and fry until light brown. Drain and take out in an absorbent paper.
- Serve crispy puris with potato curry and pickle.