Made with Yogurt, Bottle Gaurd and Cilantro; it is cool and refreshing condiment which goes well with hot and spicy dishes.
- 2 cups Yogurt beaten smooth
- 3” piece of Bottle Gourd finely chopped
- A pinch of Turmeric powder
- ½ tsp Mustard seeds
- ¼ tsp Cumin seeds
- ¼ tsp Urad dal
- 1 dry whole Red chili
- A pinch of Asafetida
- 4-5 Curry leaves
- 1 chopped Green chili
- 1 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 1 tbsp Cooking oil
- Salt to taste
- Heat the oil in a pan. Add the mustard seeds and cumin seeds. After they splutter, add the urad dal and let it turn red. Add the dry red chilies, curry leaves, asafetida, green chilies, turmeric powder, salt and bottle gourd pieces.
- Cook covered on a medium flame for 8-10 minutes or till the bottle gourd pieces turn soft. Crush the cooked bottle gourd with the help of spoon to smaller pieces. Remove from the flame and keep aside to cool.
- Combine the cooked mixture with the beaten yogurt. Adjust the consistency of Raita by adding little water.
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and serve chilled with Roti and Sabji of your choice.
Do You Know?
Because of the acid content of yogurt, it makes a fabulous marinade to tenderize meats. Do not use aluminum pans when preparing anything with yogurt. The acid in the yogurt will react with the aluminum.