Urad Dal Dumplings (Urad Badiyan) are cooked with potato chunks. Urad badiyan are quite big in size so they are broken in small pieces before they are cooked in masala. You can get readymade badiyan from Indian grocery store although it is not difficult to make them at home.
- 1 cup Urad Badiyan broken in small pieces
- 1 big potato cut in 1” cubes
- 2 green chilies finely chopped
- 2 tomatoes
- 2 large onions cut into quarters
- 1 tbsp garlic paste
- 1 tbsp ginger paste
- 2 tbsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp red chili powder (reduce quantity if you want less heat)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- 6-8 tbsp cooking oil
- Grind the onion and tomatoes in a food processor until you get a smooth paste.
- Heat 2-3 tbsps of oil in a pan and gently stir-fry the crushed Badiyan until golden. Remove onto a plate and keep aside.
- In the same pan heat 4-5 tbsp of oil and add the onion tomato paste. Fry until it turns light brown. Add green chilies, ginger and garlic paste and fry for another 2-3 minutes. Add the coriander, red chili, cumin, and turmeric powders, and fry stirring continuously, until the oil begins to separate from the masala.
- Stir in the Badiyan and add desired amount of water and salt. Transfer in a pressure cooker and cook till two pressure releases.
- When the pressure drops, open the lid of the pressure cooker. Add potato cubes and pressure cook it again till one pressure release. (Remember that cooking time of Badiyan and potato is different, Badiyan take longer to cook than potato).
- Transfer curry to serving bowl. Add garam masala powder.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve with Roti or Paratha.