Radishes are tangy, mustardy root vegetables which add both flavor and nutrition to the food. The entire plant is edible.
The tops of tender radishes can be used as a leaf vegetable and the white root part can be eaten raw in salads as well as in many other dishes like Mooli Ka Paratha or Mooli Ke Kofte
Radish greens should be washed thoroughly in cold water. It is better to soak greens for about 30 minutes in very cold water before chopping and cooking them.
- Greens of 4-5 radishes finely chopped crosswise
- ½ tsp chili flakes
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ red chili powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 whole dry red chili
- Pinch of asafetida
- 2 cloves of garlic chopped
- 2 tbsp Cooking oil
- Heat oil in a skillet. When hot add garlic pieces and fry till they are light pink.
- Add asafetida, dry red chili, chili flakes and chopped Mustard Greens in the same sequence. Stir fry well. Add red chili powder, turmeric powder and salt.
- Cook covered till it is tender (do not add water).
- Take out in a serving dish.
- Eat with hot roti (Indian flat bread) and dal of your choice.
Do You Know?
Radishes are a wonderful food for weight loss. Eating radishes actually makes you feel full because they are high in roughage and water. If you are on a diet, the high nutritional content, combined with the low calories, makes radishes excellent additions to light foods that could use the extra kick.