Karela is one of my favorite vegetables. I prefer to cook karela with its skin on. The fruit is most often eaten green as it becomes more bitter when ripens.
You can cook Chinese Bitter Melon also with same recipe.
- 2 Bitter Melons thinly sliced
- 1 big onion finely sliced
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tbsp saunf (Fennel Seeds)
- 1 tsp dry raw mango powder (amchur)
- Salt to taste
- 4 tbsp mustard oil or any other cooking oil
- Heat 4 tbsp mustard oil in a wok or kadhai over a medium flame.
- Fry onion slices. When the onions have turned a little pink in color, add the bitter gourd to them and fry both for 4-5 minutes.
- Add red chili powder, turmeric powder, salt, coriander powder, saunf and amchur.
- A little water can be sprinkled while frying with the spices to prevent burning.
- Now cover the wok and reduce the heat to minimum. Stir occasionally and cook till karela is tender. Add little water if needed to prevent burning.
- Serve with Dal and hot Roti (flat breads) and Yogurt Raita.
Do you know?
Raw onions have the most health benefits, but the cooked ones are also beneficial. Onions help to reduce the risk of heart disease and stroke. They also have anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer effects.
Onions are not high in calories, so can be eaten freely.