- 1 pound (any fish with firm, white flesh) cut into medium thick slices
- 1 medium onion
- 1 tbsp ginger paste
- 1 tbsp garlic paste
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1+1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- 8 tbsp of cooking oil
- 1+1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- Salt to taste
- Mix 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp turmeric powder and 1 tbsp lemon juice in a bowl. Rub this mixture over fish pieces. Spread the fish pieces out in a single layer in a large plate. Set the plate at a tilt and leave it tilted for 2-3 hours. As water accumulates at one end, discard it.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the fish pieces gently for 3-4 minutes. Drain the fish on absorbent kitchen paper and set aside.
- Chop one onion finely and grind the other one.
- Add the chopped onion to the remaining oil in the pan and fry until golden.
- Add all spices (red chili powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder) and cook stirring for 10-15 seconds.
- Now add the ground onion, garlic, ginger and tomato puree and 2 tbsp of water. Fry the mixture until the ghee starts to separate.
- Add 1 cup of water and salt to taste. Bring the mixture to the boil. Add fried fish pieces. Reduce the heat and simmer for about 5 minutes. Sprinkle 1 tbsp lemon juice.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve the fish curry hot with rice or roti (Indian Flat Bread).
Do You Know?
Fish is a fantastic, healthy and versatile source of zinc and the omega-3 fatty acids, both of which will give your health a boost this winter.
Many people are more susceptible to depression in the colder months. But a growing number of studies show that omega-3 fatty acids play an important role in preventing and lifting depression.