- 6 cups milk
- ½ cup yogurt
- ¼ cup sugar (modify according to your taste)
- 2-3 tbsp khoya powder (available at Indian Grocery Stores)
- 2 tbsp Chopped nuts
- ¼ tsp green cardamom powder
- Pinch of saffron
- ½ tsp rose water
- Boil 4 cups of milk.
- Add yogurt as milk comes to boil.
- Once the chhena settles, drain excess water (whey) and keep it in a plate.
- Now put the remaining milk to boil in a thick bottomed pan.
- Add chhena and boil till it turns thick.
- Now sprinkle sugar and khoya powder; cook till the mixture turns lumpy.
- Cool it; mix cardamom powder and rose water.
- Garnish with saffron, cardamom powder, and chopped nuts.
- Serve chilled.
Do you know?
Chhena is a crumbly and moist form of paneer, used to make desserts. It is created in a similar process to paneer except it is not pressed for as long.
It is most popular in Orissa and Bengal (States of India) and is made from Domestic Asian Water Buffalo milk. The milk of these animals have higher fat content. Rasgulla, Rasaballi, Chhena Kheeri and Chhena poda are among the most popular desserts made from chhena.
Chhena is a good milk substitute for lactose intolerant people.