Buttermilk is flavored with ginger, green chili and mint.
- 2 cups low fat yogurt
- Black salt according to taste,
- 1 green chili chopped
- Very small piece of fresh ginger
- 1 tbsp mint leaves chopped
- ½ tsp roasted cumin seeds powder
- Pinch of asafetida
- Grind ginger, green chili, mint, asafetida and black salt together to a fine paste in an electric mixture.
- Add yogurt and 4-5 cups of water and again churn for few seconds till yogurt turns into smooth buttermilk.
- djust consistency of buttermilk according to your taste by adding more water.
- Serve chilled.
Do You Know?
In India, buttermilk(widely known as "chhaachh") is known to be the liquid leftover after extracting butter from churned curd.Artificially made buttermilk, also known as cultured buttermilk, is a product where lactic acid bacteria called Streptococcus lactis have been added to milk.
Buttermilk is lower in fat and calories than regular milk because the fat from buttermilk has already been removed to make butter.
It is high in potassium, vitamin B12 and calcium.
Buttermilk is more easily digestible than whole milk.