It is a simple recipe in which Gosht masala is prepared in tomato puree and fried onions. Deghi Mirch gives it a color and freshly ground garam masala gives it aroma.
- 1 pound Goat/Lamb
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 5-6 Cloves
- 1 tsp Caraway seeds
- 1 Brown Cardamom
- 2 big Onions sliced
- 1 tbsp Ginger finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Garlic finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Green Chilies finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Coriander Powder
- 1 tsp Deghi Mirch Powder
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup Tomato Puree
- 1 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 1 tbsp chopped cilantro leaves
- 3-4 tbsp ghee
- Clean and wash Goat/lamb and cut into 1½" pieces.
- Heat oil in a thick-bottomed pan. Add bay leaves, cloves, Caraway seeds, Brown Cardamom and sliced onions. Sauté till onions turn brown in color.
- Add chopped ginger, chopped garlic and chopped green chilies. Cook for half a minute.
- Add lamb pieces and cook on a high heat for 5 minutes, till lamb is seared and its juices sealed in.
- Add coriander powder, Deghi Mirch powder and turmeric powder. Stir well.
- Cook on low heat till lamb pieces are almost done. You may add some water if needed while cooking.
- Add tomato puree and season with salt and garam masala powder.
- Cook covered till lamb is tender. Adjust consistency of gravy by adding warm water.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro leaves.
- Serve with Tandoori roti or rice.
Do You Know?
The Indian cuisine is easy to prepare, tasty and can be prepared in less time. Spices are the main part of the Indian cooking and their quantity and proportion varies with the geographical boundaries.
Masala refers to spices, and this is the name given to the thick and pasty sauce based on a combination of spices with ghee (clarified butter), butter or coconut milk
A masala can either be a combination of dried (and usually dry-roasted) spices, or a paste made from a mixture of spices and other ingredients--often garlic, ginger and onions.
Spices are freshly grounded and added in many different combinations. Some of the spices, which are commonly used, are coriander, turmeric, cumin, chilies, fennel, and fenugreek. Other spices, which are added for some fragrance, are cardamom, clove, cinnamon and star aniseed.