- 1 cup Matar Ke Chhilke (peel of pea pods) chopped small
- ½ cup potato peeled and cubed in small size
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- Pinch of asafetida (optional)
- 1 dry whole red chili
- Salt to taste
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp amchoor powder (dry mango powder)
- 1 green chili finely chopped
- ½ tsp garam masala (optional)
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- Peel the pea pods. For this you have to select firm pea pods.
- First separate the two halves of each pod.
- Now fold and press each half of the pea pod in such a way that outer fleshy side of the pod remains outside only. You will hear snapping sound when a fresh pea pod is folded and pressed.
- Now remove the inner tough membrane of pod, as shown in the picture, by sliding it down slowly along the length of the pod from inside.
- Separate all the peels and then chop them in small pieces. Keep them aside for later use.
- Heat the oil in a pan and add asafetida, whole dry red chilies and cumin seeds.
- When the seeds begin to splutter add potato cubes and stir fry till pink over low heat. Add now chopped peels of pea pods.
- Mix in turmeric powder, red chili powder, chopped green chilies and salt. There is no need to add any water as the peels themselves are moist.
- Cook covered on low heat till vegetable is just tender. Mix in amchoor powder and garam masala powder.
- Remove and serve hot with Paratha/Roti and Dal of your choice.
Do You Know?
The peels of many fruits and vegetables contain valuable nutrients (antioxidants and insoluble fibres). It is often a good idea to leave the peels and skins on fruits and vegetables to take full advantage of those nutrients that are found in the peels and skins and right below the skin.