Make stiff dough of besan and wheat flour; deep fry in hot cooking oil on medium heat until crispy brown, serve hot with curry and pickle of your choice.
- 1 cup besan
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ½ tsp crushed cumin seeds
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- ½ tsp chat masala(available in Indian Grocery Stores)
- ¼ tsp of asafetida
- 1 tbsp oil
- ½ tsp salt
- Cooking oil to deep fry
- Mix all the ingredients (except oil to fry) in a bowl. Add warm water just enough to form a firm dough. Knead the dough smooth but stiff. Cover and keep it to rest for at least ½ hour at a warm place. Punch and knead the dough again before rolling out.
- Divide the dough into small balls about golf-ball size, and roll out into 4" rounds on an oiled board.
- Heat vegetable oil in a wok or saucepan. Add a little salt to the oil to keep it from smoking.
- Fry the puri one at a time, holding them under the oil on the first side until they puff. Turn and fry until light brown. Drain and take out in an absorbent paper.
- Serve crispy puris with curry of your choice and pickle.
Do You Know?
Cumin is one of the best spices to prevent and relieve flatulence. If you like cumin, make sure to add it to curries no matter which recipe you choose. If you don’t like its taste, you can use other herbs containing the most gas-relieving chemicals e.g. caraway, dill, fennel, peppermint, sage and thyme.