It is one of the favorite Indian drinks in hot summer days. It is very refreshing drink and has got heat resistant properties. It is made from fresh green mangoes which are abundant in the summer months.
It is a sweet-sour-spicy drink.
- 2 medium-sized raw green mangoes
- ½ cup sugar (modify according to taste)
- 1 tsp salt mix (modify according to taste)
- 1 tsp fresh ginger extract
- ½ tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1 tsp fennel seeds ground coarsely
- 1 tsp roasted ground cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp lemon juice or ¼ cup lemonade
- Crushed ice
- Sprigs of mint to garnish
- Wash, peel and slice the raw mangoes.
- In a deep saucepan boil the mango slices in two cups of water, till they are soft.
- Take off from the fire and allow to cool completely.
- Put the mango slices (along with the water in which slices are boiled), sugar and salt mixture into a food processor and blend till smooth.
- Add the remaining ingredients (except mint to garnish) and mix well.
- Dilute with 3-4 cups of chilled water.
- Pour into glasses, and add few finely chopped mint leaves and crushed ice.
- Garnish with a sprig of mint and serve.
- One raw mango is enough to make two tall glasses of panna.
- Strain the panna just before adding crushed ice to get the clear drink.
- Kayree Ka panna is an effective remedy for heat exhaustion and heat stroke.
- It is considered beneficial in the treatment of gastro -intestinal disorders.
- Since it is an excellent source of vitamin C, it is considered as a curative for blood disorders. It increases the elasticity of the blood vessels and helps in the formation of new blood cells.
- This drink is also a good source of vitamin B1 and B2 and contains sufficient quantity of niacin.