Lamb chops are simmered in a creamy yogurt sauce flavored with garam masala powder.
- 15 lamb chops
- 1 cup yogurt
- 1 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1 tbsp garlic paste
- 1 tbsp ginger paste
- 1 tbsp green chili paste
- 1 medium onion finely sliced
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tbsp ghee
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp finely chopped mint leaves
- 1 tbsp finely chopped cilantro leaves
- 2 tbsp sour cream
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 4-5 drops of kewra water
- 2-3 green cardamoms powdered
- ½ - 1 cup lamb stock or water
- Mix yogurt, black pepper powder, ginger garlic paste, green chili paste, and salt together.
- Marinate the lamb in this mixture for 30 minutes.
- Heat ghee in a non-stick pan; add bay leaf, onions and fry till light brown.
- Add the marinated lamb chops with marinade, garam masala, mint leaves, coriander leaves (save some for garnishing) and fry until the oil separates from the mixture.
- Pour in half cup of lamb stock or water, stir and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the flame and simmer chops until the meat is tender. This dish, when cooked, requires the gravy that is enough to coat the meat thickly. If it is not so, cook the chops without lid to reduce the gravy to required consistency.
- When gravy becomes thick, add sour cream and fry for 2-3 minutes. Adjust seasoning if needed. When ghee starts separating out, add rose water, lemon juice and sprinkle green cardamom powder.
- Garnish with chopped coriander and serve as a starter with salad of your choice.
Do You Know?
A meat chop is a cut of meat cut perpendicularly to the spine, and usually containing a rib or part of a vertebra and served as an individual portion. The most common kinds of meat chops are pork and lamb.