Brown rice often referred to as whole rice or cargo rice, is the whole grain with only its inedible outer hull removed. It doesn't have the fluffy texture of white rice, but its nutty flavor and chewy texture makes brown rice a tasty way to get fiber into your diet.
For Chicken Curry:
- 1 skinless boneless chicken breast cut into bite sized pieces
- ¼ cup hot and sour sauce
- ½ tsp garlic paste
- ½ tsp black pepper powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 cup brown rice
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp cooking oil
- 2 cups water or broth
- Rinse the rice thoroughly under running water and remove any dirt or debris that maybe present. Soak it for about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile marinate the chicken. Add sauce, garlic paste, black pepper powder, salt and 1 tbsp oil to the chicken and marinate for 15 minutes at room temperature.
- Heat remaining oil in a non stick pan. Add chicken with marinade. Cook covered on medium for 8-10 minutes or until chicken is tender. Stirring frequently.
- In a pan boil 2 cups of water. Add rice, salt and oil to boiling water. After the liquid has returned to a boil, turn down the heat, cover and simmer for about 30-40 minutes or until the rice is done. You can cook in electric Rice Cooker also. Brown rice takes longer than white rice to cook.
- Serve brown rice with sauce chicken.
Note: I used Knorr sauce. You can modify the quantity of sauce according to your taste.
Do you know?
Brown rice becomes rancid more quickly than white rice. At many places it is more expensive than common white rice, partly due to difficulty of its storage and transport.