Bathua is a popular leafy vegetable in North India, during the winter months. It gives a distinctive taste to roti, puri or paratha. It is cooked like spinach.
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 cups Bathua leaves
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- ¼ tsp asafetida
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- ½ tsp chat masala
- ½ dry ginger powder
- 2 tsp oil for kneading the dough
- 1 cup ghee/oil to fry
- In a pan take 2 tbsp oil and heat it on moderate fire. Add cumin seeds and asafetida. When cumin stops spluttering add washed bathua leaves. Fry for 4-5 minutes until water is evaporated and bathua leaves are cooked.
- Take whole-wheat flour in a large bowl. Add all the ingredients except ghee or cooking oil and knead the flour. You may require little water to knead the flour. Knead until you get smooth, medium-soft dough.
- Add 2 tbsp of oil now and continue to knead. Once the dough is done, put it in a closed container and keep it in refrigerator for 15-20 minutes.
- Divide the dough into equal sized portions and roll each portion into a ball between your palms. Use dry flour or oil to make smooth balls.
- Lightly flour a rolling board and roll out each ball into a 6-7” circle.
- Heat a griddle and put a paratha over it. Flip the paratha when you see tiny bubbles rising on the surface of the paratha. Drizzle a bit of ghee/oil on the top and spread well over the surface of the paratha. Flip again and drizzle some more ghee/oil on this surface too. The paratha is done when both sides are crispy and golden brown.
- Serve hot crispy bathua paratha with coriander chutney, pickle and raita.
Fat Hen, Lamb's-quarters, Pigweed, are the common names of Bathua. Its Botanical name is Chenopodium album
It can be mixed with chicken and meat to make a saag dish. With new potatoes it makes a lovely vegetable dish. With yogurt you can make a delicious raita .
Bathua has medicinal uses in some skin conditions. Its oil is used to treat hookworms. It is said to be high in vitamin A, B-complex vitamins, vitamin C, calcium, potassium, phosphorus, trace minerals, iron and fiber.